|(Photo: Getty Images)|
By Maung Zarni
November 10, 2015
Now Aung San Suu Kyi will be "Above-the-President" leader of the landslide winning soon-to-be ruling party, all the activists, NGOs, government officials, journalists and researchers around the world need to demand from the newly elected government, the following:
1) immediate and unconditional end to the slow burning genocide of the Rohingya. (UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar in 1994 ? was created as the direct response to the military's persecution of the Rohingya);
2) immediate and unconditional release of all jailed dissidents including farmers, workers, ethnic minority activists, monks, journalists, etc.;
3) repeal Thein Sein's 4 proto-Nuremberg (Nazi-like, that is) law.
4) kick-start the nationwide ceasefire talks while halting all military attacks on the ethnic minority communities and organizations;
5) set up a National Commission for Reconciliation and make plans to hold nationwide dialogue, truth and reconciliation discussions;
6) review all investment deals and development projects; and
7) create a National Environmental Commission and put moratorium on all resource-extractive projects starting with mining, logging, and hydropower extracting.